Pushed for time, need to get the rest of your 5 A Day in but don’t know how? Sound familiar? No worries, there’s one simple and easy way to combat this – smoothies! Deliciously nutritious and quick to make, you can even tailor your smoothie to fit in with your needs – need to sort out your sleep? Smoothies! Skin needs a bit of a boost? Smoothies! Had one-too-many glasses of wine last night? You get the picture.
Perfect for soothing ailments like heartburn, nausea and to help digestion, this banana ginger smoothie is simple and sweet! Creates two servings:
· 1 banana, sliced
· ¾ vanilla yogurt
· 1 tbsp honey
· ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
Blend all until smooth!
Pack a Punch
If you need a quick and simple way to get more nutrients in your diet, this combo of green tea, blueberry and banana is a winner. Creates one serving:
· 3 tbsp water
· 1 green tea bag
· 2 tsp honey
· 1 ½ cup frozen blueberries
· ½ medium banana
· ¾ cup calcium fortified light vanilla soy milk
1. Make a cup of green tea, brewed for 3 minutes. Remove the tea bag and stir honey in until dissolved.
2. Blend berries, banana and milk in a blender.
3. Add the green tea, and blend on high until smooth (if you need to add a little extra water, that’s fine).
After-Workout Cool Down
Need to cool down after a tough workout? This creamy orange smoothie is perfect, and creates one serving:
· 1 navel orange, peeled
· ¼ c fat-free half-and-half or fat-free yogurt
· 2 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
· ¼ tsp vanilla extract
· 4 ice cubes
Combine the orange, half-and-half or yogurt, orange juice concentrate, vanilla, and ice cubes. Process until smooth.
Set yourself up for a busy business day with this delicious breakfast smoothie – it makes two servings, so there’s plenty to go around:
· 1 c frozen unsweetened raspberries
· ¾ c chilled unsweetened almond or rice milk
· ¼ c frozen pitted unsweetened cherries or raspberries
· 1½ Tbsp honey
· 2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
· 1 tsp ground flaxseed
· 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Blend all ingredients, adding lemon juice to taste. Puree until smooth. Pour into 2 chilled glasses and enjoy!